RECENT EVENT Support:Racial Injustice Statements Statement on Ukraine Hurricane Ian
While Waiting for Your Appointment
CAPS will be closed Friday, December 23, through Monday, January 2, 2023, during the university's holiday closedown. If you're in crisis, please call 402.472.7450 and follow the prompts for immediate assistance (24/7).
Counseling and Psychological Services exists to serve the entire student body at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Because of this, there may be times where you experience a short wait to be seen at Counseling and Psychological Services when you are not in crisis.
Here are some suggested strategies to help you until your next appointment:
- If you are in crisis, call 402.472.7450 Monday through Friday between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. to arrange a crisis appointment or walk over to the University Health Center at 550 N. 19th St. and tell the receptionist inside the CAPS suite on level two that you need to see the crisis counselor. If you need immediate assistance after business hours, call 402.472.7450 and follow the prompts to be connected to an on-call therapist. If you feel you are a danger to yourself or others, call 911 or University Campus Police at 402.472.2222
- Focus on enhancing your health and well-being:
- Eat well-balanced meals that include fruits and vegetables
- Exercise five times a week, whether that’s taking a walk, checking out the Campus Rec Center or doing a workout at home or in your dorm
- Drink more water
- Aim to get at least eight hours of sleep every night
- Get outside and breath
- Spend a few minutes meditating or practicing mindfulness (these apps can help)
- Creating a structured routine and try to stick with it
- Set realistic goals
- Think positive
- Try one of our many other support groups, therapy groups or workshops
- Check out our Self-Guided Mental Health Resources or visit the Common Concerns & FAQ section on our website. We offer many resources on popular mental health and wellness topics such as depression, anxiety, stress and more.