newspaper(content) RECENT EVENT Support:

Confidentiality Overview

Online scheduling is unavailable.

If you are new to CAPS and would like to speak with a counselor, please call 402-472-7450 and press 2 to schedule a same day appointment. The online scheduling portal is unavailable at this time.

The therapeutic relationship and what is discussed by a therapist and client are considered private and protected under the law. We adhere to professional, legal, and ethical guidelines established by the State of Nebraska and the American Psychological Association. Information about any aspect of a student's counseling relationship, including appointments and records, will not be disclosed to anyone outside of the Counseling Center’s professional staff without the student's written permission. Please note that clinical records are completely separate from educational records and cannot be accessed by parents, faculty, staff, administrators or others without the student's written permission or court order.

However, Nebraska law establishes that in order to protect the client and/or the public, disclosures without the permission of the client may apply under the following circumstances:

  • The student is considered at immediate risk for harming yourself
  • The student is considered at immediate risk for harming others
  • Previous or current child abuse
  • Abuse of elderly persons or persons with disabilities
  • A court order

Information Limits

Unless a student is under age 18, we cannot share their records with parents or family without the student's written consent. This written consent would be given through a Release of Information Form.

Although we are limited by confidentiality, we still wish to partner with parents and families. If you have information that you feel we should know, call us but know that anything you share can be shared with the student.

We are happy to consult with you about any concern you may have. You do not need to share the student’s name if you would rather wait. We are here to give you the best explanation of what typically happens when students seek mental health services at Counseling and Psychological Services. In some cases, contacting us can help ensure the best possible outcome for the student.

Serving Students Under 18

According to Nebraska state law, those under the age of 18 cannot receive counseling services without a parent or guardian’s permission. If your student is under age 18, Counseling and Psychological Services recommends parents/guardians fill out the Minor Consent Form so your student can access services in a swift and easy manner. Once the authorization is on file, the student can begin counseling.


Students may request that clinical records be shared with therapists and health professionals. To request that your records be sent, contact the Office Manager at (402) 472-2727.