newspaper(content) RECENT EVENT Support:

Supporting Your Student with Referrals to Campus Resources

Online scheduling is unavailable.

If you are new to CAPS and would like to speak with a counselor, please call 402-472-7450 and press 2 to schedule a same day appointment. The online scheduling portal is unavailable at this time.

You can make a difference by submitting referrals to units that support UNL students' academic, social, and emotional wellbeing and consulting with their staff for advice on supporting students in need.

Personal or Life Issues

The student is facing or responding to a life event and needs non-clinical support, a connection to resources, or assistance navigating university processes.

Non-clinical support for:

  • Medical emergencies & hospitalization
  • Family emergencies
  • Financial challenges
  • Housing and/or food insecurity
  • Death or loss
  • Substance misuse
Student Advocacy and Support
Support Provided
  • Individualized support meetings
  • Outreach to faculty for students in crisis who will be absent for more than a week
  • Connection to campus and community resources
  • Assistance in navigating campus processes such as medical withdrawals
Refer a student to Student Advocacy

Academic Issues

Student is struggling academically or facing issues impacting their academic performance and could benefit from additional support and resources.

Support for:

  • Irregular or stopped class attendance
  • Poor grades or declining performance on assignments
  • Anxiety about academic performance
  • Homesickness, transition, & belonging issues
  • Registration enrollment holds
Academic Navigator Team

For graduate students, refer to Graduate Studies

Support Provided
  • Individualized support meetings
  • Referrals to tutoring and academic support centers
  • Connection to campus resources
  • Assistance in navigating campus processes such as scholarship appeals & enrollment holds
Refer a student to Academic Navigators

Mental Health Issues

Student is struggling with mental health issues or has expressed a need for mental health support.

Clinical support for:

  • Mental health emergencies
  • Anxiety & depression
  • Significant distress, trauma, or loss
  • Self-esteem
  • Coping effectively with stress
  • Interpersonal concerns
Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS)
Support Provided
  • Individualized counseling
  • Counseling groups
  • Couples & partner counseling
  • Alcohol & other drug intervention
  • Disordered eating and body image resources

Mental health care is provided by licensed counselors and psychologists.

Help a student schedule an appointment

Imminent Danger

If a student poses a danger to themselves or others, contact University Police at 2-2222

If a student is experiencing a mental health crisis, call 402-472-7450, Press 4, to speak with a CAPS on-call counselor (24/7)

Additional Resources